Saturday, April 18, 2009

Bo Ikeda RHPS





I'm pretty sure you may have seen this board before but I wanted to comment a little about it. It's a guest model from the dudes at Royal Hawaiian Pool Service. The funny thing about this is that I talked to Bo about it (yeah I know name dropping again) and he confirmed that this cat graphic was never one of his original board graphics. After thinking about it I don't remember seeing in on a board. He said it was only stickers and ads in magazines. I remember the graphics of his Vision decks like that rocket one and the other one which was a poem that if you took the first letter from each word it spelt "I fingerbanged your mom." He said the dudes at Vision initially didn't know, but when they figured it out they pulled the plug on it. He said one of his roomates at the time created the poem.

I think Bo got short changed when it came to graphics. I mean I think it sucked that when he was about to turn pro for Hosoi they parted ways with Santa Cruz and went to start Tuff Skates with Vision. I remember seeing in magazines his Santa Cruz graphics that Jim Phillips drew. I think it was of a donkey sitting on an 8 ball but the 8 said Bo instead. It would have been fucking sick. I think a lot of boards could have been sold. Then he went over to Vision which to me was not nearly on the same page as Santa Cruz when it came to graphics.

Anyway this is a sick board and it's funny that it says disappear-reappear because the Hosoi board previous to this one said appear-reapper. However this Bo board came out in 2007 and the Hosoi deck just came out this year. Both of them refering to the stellar comebacks that they made in skateboarding. The Zatoichi reference is that to an old tv show of a blind man who on the surface seems harmless, but could slice you up in an instant with his sword skills.

No comments: