Friday, April 4, 2008

Big in Japan: Osaka.

Three days in Tokyo is not nearly enough time to properly enjoy the capital of my favorite country in the world. There's just way too much shit to see and do, especially skateboard-wise. Even without skating in the equation, it's overwhelming to take it all in within only a few days, and I'm not even including easy to get to nearby areas like Yokohama, Japan's second biggest city which is only 35-40 minutes away by train. I would have loved to make it out to Yokohama again, there are a shitload of good skate spots and a whole other huge metropolis to explore that is even more modern and marble infested than Tokyo. Of course both of those cities are amazing, but in my opinion they can't even begin to compete with the electricity and overall good vibes that my favorite city in the world oozes from every nook and cranny. That's right, it's all about Osaka. If Tokyo seems aloof and uptight, Osaka is down to earth and mellow. Don't get me wrong, it's a fast paced and gigantic city (Japan's third largest) and if I had to compare them I would say that Tokyo is very much like New York City, people there tend to be sort of snobby and believe that they're cooler than the rest of the country, and Osaka is comparable to Los Angeles, they are more laid back and tend to not be in so much of a crazy rush to do things. Bottom line is that the people are a lot cooler, the food tastes a lot better, and they know how to have fun more overall than any other place in Japan. KUIDAORE!


Bullet train out of town, it takes a little under three hours to get to Osaka.


This ought to help pass the time.


By the way, have you SEEN the Ghostface book? Words of wisdom from Tony Starks and Ashy Larry in accompanying photos? I don't think I need to say any more, but GET THIS SHIT already.


Made it! My man Junji from Soundboarding was there to greet me, he lives like two minutes from the station.


Junji's down with APB. Go to their website and check out the FILM section, two of his Goldenroad episodes that he filmed in Hawaii are viewable. We were about to start working on a new episode.


Dropped my shit off and headed straight to Fuzenna, Osaka's most hardcore skateboarder-owned and operated skateshop. The wall of fame features Hawaii's own Grant Fukuda and Gary Owens from Royal Hawaiian Pool Service, as well as established Japanese rippers like Wataru and Kenji.


They had the issue of The Skateboard Mag with the Hawaii article in it. Atiba Jefferson took some amazing photos of Kaikea Kimura, Jarold Webb, Aaron Lee, and Danny Hamaguchi. Did you read the article and the photo captions? That was me. Shameless plug, I know, but shameless plugs are the name of the game in out there in blog land if you haven't noticed by now.


Met up with Junji's homie Shogo. Or is it Shougo? Either way this dude is a shredder, and cool as fuck.


Oh, they have skate stoppers in Japan too.


The Fourstar team killed this place, I was ready to see what it was all about.


First time meeting my little homie Takashi. Some call him TAKE A SHIT as a joke, but this dude's skills on a board are downright serious.


Shougo popped a little something.


Dude got his hurricane on. I think hurricanes are typhoons on this side of the International Date Line though. That's a steep typhoon stall.


Kenji Kumeda, crailslide, GNARLY!


Tribute to Gonz, who was FUCKING TERRORIZING this bank in the Fourstar video.


Homie jumped up and thought about a stunt.


Then executed that shit. CRAZY, beleive me.


Junji's angle was tight.


My ender was a little more low-impact.


And rewarded by Kenji.


Crew!


Rock on.


Beers at Takashi's.


Tourists love Glico man.


And adore Kuidaore.


Five-O rolled up and tried to hate.


But when the cops left, Junji and the crew were still chillin' with some beverages.


The Hanshin Tigers are Osaka's baseball team, and this is one of their fitted trucker caps all beadazzled.


Lots of clowns roaming the streets of Ame-mura.


Never mind Kirin or Asahi, that's mainstream pop shit. Yebisu (don't prounounce the Y) is the reallness.


Osaka has the best crab in the nation. Kani Doraku is the illest.


Everybody used to skate it seems, but this dude could actually ollie with those ridiculous shoes, not bad.


You never do catch the dragon, you know.


How about a nice free fall?


Me and my man waiting for the train.


Don't go here.


Don't manhandle the ramps.


Go in here and you'll drown!


What you got on this rock channel?


Me and the crew freight-train ollied it.


Maybe you feel like a little jog?


The biggest fucking dog I have ever seen in my life.


You can't tell but that thing was losing it's shit when I tried to get a good picture of it. It was like in full on attack mode, I mean seriously barking and lunging at me. I was semi-terrified for my life but that dude and the little dog saved me.


Skatepark sunset.


Psyched on these kids.


Wild child.


Night mission equals generator.


Doraemon movie out soon.


Dude, you're on the wrong side.


Dio was everywhere, heavy metal moped.


Lights, camera...you know the rest.


Shougo warmed it up.


Junji took a seat.


Board to the face?


Just your average filmer's occupational hazard.


Ollie.


Five-O grizzle.


Reallest shop in town.


They thought they were hi-rolling but they don't roll like we do.


Best style award.


Had to battle other paparazzos for the shot.


Takoyaki balls in your mouth.


Dope vending machine, they're everywhere and they sell everything.


About to get my shred on.


Shougo swept up.


I powered up.


So did Takashi.


Junji dropped in.


Climbed that shit.


Whoops!


You know Takashi nailed that shit though.


Homies!


Junji over the channel.


Honorary Hawaiians!


Sushi in between sessions? Hai!


Ex-girl's co-workers. So glad that bitch didn't come along.


Last session for the video, let's make it a good one.


Fuzenna shop owner and all-around nice guy Mister K.D.-san gets some over the hip at Herbis.


My board got submerged. Twice. Normally, game over but this was the last session of the trip.


Waterlogged pop over the igloo.


Next day cruised around before I split town, Christa was there, kind of.


Pachinko addicts.


Octopussy.


Last Osaka meal. Killed it.


Ready to split.


Bullet.


Outta here.


No, seriously outta here.

Thanks to my main man Junji for showing me around and filming. Can't wait to see what he throws together for this episode, should be entertaining. Also domo arigato to Masako and Kayoko for dinner, and skate-wise Shougo, Takashi, Kenji, K.D., and all the rest of Junji's homies whose names I forgot. To me, Osaka kills Tokyo in every category hands down and I can't wait to get back there again in the very near future. For those that slept, what else can I say except you blew it! Hard. Next time don't front.

Sayonara.

No comments: